These little bundles are very versatile. While we've opted to flavour them with pecorino and sage, they'd work well with feta, dill and mint, or given a subcontinental twist with paneer and coriander.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for shallow-frying
- ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups coarsely grated carrot
- 100 gm pecorino, coarsely grated
- 100 gm (2/3 cup) plain flour
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped sage, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped thyme
- 1Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes). Tip into a large bowl, add carrot, pecorino, flour, herbs and rind, season to taste and mix well. Form into 10-12 rough patties and set aside on a tray.
- 2Heat 1cm oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add sage leaves and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Add patties to pan in batches and fry until golden brown on both sides and cooked through (5-6 minutes). Drain on paper towels, season to taste and serve topped with sage leaves with lemon wedges and aïoli.
Drink Suggestion: Sparkling rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen