Raw cauliflower is fantastic in a salad for extreme crunch. Make sure you give it enough time in the dressing to soak up the flavours. Begin this recipe a day ahead to drain the yoghurt.
- 500 gm buffalo yoghurt (see note)
- ½ cauliflower, about 400gm broken into small florets
- 2 each purple and orange carrots, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup (loosely packed) dill
- 50 gm pistachios, coarsely chopped
- To serve: dried chilli flakes
Orange and cumin dressing
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) orange juice
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp honey
- 1Place buffalo yoghurt in a colander or sieve lined with muslin, then place over a bowl to drain, cover and refrigerate overnight until thick (discard liquid).
- 2For orange and cumin dressing, dry-roast cumin seeds (30 seconds) then crush in a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients, whisk and season to taste. Set aside.
- 3Combine cauliflower and carrot in a large bowl, add dressing toss to combine, season to taste and set aside until carrot starts to soften (3-5 minutes). Add herbs, reserving some for garnish, toss to combine and serve scattered with reserved herbs, pistachios, chilli flakes and buffalo yoghurt on the side.
Note Buffalo yoghurt is available from select delicatessens and grocers. Sheep's milk or Greek-style yoghurt make great substitutes.
Drink Suggestion: Spanish verdejo. Drink suggestion by Max Allen