This soup is a warm hug, with or without the dumplings, with a double-boiled stock bringing extra richness. A chicken soup to cure all ills, or at least make you feel that little bit better.
- 2 kg chicken bones
- 2 litres (8 cups) chicken stock
- 1½ tsp sesame oil (or to taste)
- 200 gm fresh thin egg noodles
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (or to taste), plus extra to serve
- Thinly sliced spring onion, to serve
Chicken and chive dumplings
- 430 gm minced chicken
- 1 bunch bunch garlic chives, finely chopped
- 3 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp finely grated ginger
- 30 wonton wrappers
- 1Combine bones and stock in a large saucepan, add enough water to submerge bones, and bring to the boil, skimming scum from surface. Reduce heat to low and simmer until stock is very well flavoured, topping up water occasionally (2½-3 hours). Strain, then season to taste.
- 2For dumplings, combine ingredients, except wonton wrappers, in a bowl and season with finely ground white pepper. Working with one wrapper at a time, place a teaspoon of mince filling in the centre. Brush edges with water, fold over to create a triangle, press to seal and pleat edges. Place on a tray lined with a tea towel, cover with another tea towel and repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- 3Season warm serving bowls with ¼ tsp sesame oil each. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Cook noodles until tender (2-4 minutes), remove with tongs, drain well and divide among bowls. Boil wontons in the same pot of boiling water until cooked through (2-4 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and add to bowls.
- 4Meanwhile, bring 2 litres stock to the boil in a clean saucepan (remainder will keep refrigerated for 4 days or frozen for 3 months). Season to taste with soy sauce and white pepper. Ladle into bowls.
Serve with spring onion and extra soy sauce to taste.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersFlour and Stone's guide to making the perfect pavlovaYesterday 5:00am
- Travel NewsThree of the best dog-friendly hotels in AustraliaYesterday 4:00am