Steaming eggplant gives it a lovely silky texture and makes a lighter alternative to frying. The dressing can be made with a curry paste for extra spiciness. Begin this recipe a day ahead to soak the chickpeas.
- 200 gm chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water, drained (1 cup)
- 1 eggplant, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 cup (firmly packed) coriander, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (firmly packed) mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 80 gm roasted natural almonds (½ cup)
- 2 tsp finely chopped preserved lemon zest
- 40 gm fresh coconut, coarsely grated
- 280 gm plain yoghurt (1 cup)
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp ground spice blend, such as a chermoula spice blend
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp harissa
- 1Cook chickpeas in a saucepan of unsalted boiling water until tender (20-25 minutes). Drain.
- 2Meanwhile, steam eggplant until tender (15-20 minutes). Add to chickpeas.
- 3For spiced dressing, heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat, add spice blend and stir until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl to cool, then add lemon juice and harissa, and season to taste.
- 4Add herbs, almonds and preserved lemon to chickpeas, then add dressing and toss to combine. Serve topped with grated coconut and a dollop of yoghurt.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm