- 2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored, quartered and quartered again into eights, then thinly sliced widthways
- 60 ml (¼ cup) cider vinegar
- 690 ml dry cider
- 440 gm (2 cups, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 leg ham, bone in (about 7.5 kg)
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Combine apples and cider vinegar in a bowl and set aside. Add 500ml dry cider, 330gm brown sugar, half the spices and 1 tsp sea salt to a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, to dissolve sugar. Add apple mixture and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until apple is soft (25-30 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, cut through the skin around the rounded end of ham. Gently peel back skin with your fingers, carefully separating the skin from the fat, and discard. Score fat on the diagonal about 4cm apart with a sharp knife. Repeat in opposite direction to create a crosshatch pattern. Place ham on wire rack of a large roasting pan and pour remaining dry cider into pan. Combine remaining sugar and spices in a bowl to mix well, then rub over ham and set aside at room temperature.
- 3Remove apple from liquid with a slotted spoon and place on top of ham. Brush with glaze and roast, brushing frequently with remaining glaze, until ham is warmed through (1-1½ hours). Increase oven to 180C and cook until deep mahogany in colour and glaze has thickened (20-30 minutes). Serve ham sliced with extra glaze to the side.
Stout, honey and hot English mustard and glaze
Combine 500ml stout, 190gm honey and 75gm hot English mustard in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve hot English mustard. Stud scored ham with cloves, brush with glaze, add another 250ml stout to pan and cook as per step 3 in glazed ham recipe above.
Kecap manis and chilli glaze
Combine 250ml kecap manis, 200gm finely grated light palm sugar, finely grated rind and juice of 4 limes and 2 tsp crushed dried red chillies in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stud scored ham with cloves, brush with kecap manis and chilli glaze, add 125ml water to roasting pan and cook as per glazed ham recipe above.
Drink Suggestion: Farmhouse cider. Drink suggestion by Max Allen