- 40 gm flaked almonds (1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 500 gm chestnut mushrooms, trimmed, stalks reserved
- 100 gm shiitake mushrooms
- 1 quantity basic pasta dough (see <b><u><a href="/recipes/recipe-search/chefs-recipes/2014/2/basic-pasta-recipe/">basic pasta recipe</a></b></u>)
- 150 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 40 gm grated aged Pecorino Sardo (½ cup)
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Scatter almonds evenly over an oven tray and toast until golden (7-8 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add garlic, thyme, chestnut mushroom stalks and shiitakes, and cook until golden (3-4 minutes). Add 700ml water, bring to the boil and cook until stock is reduced by half (30-35 minutes). Season to taste and strain into a large bowl (discard solids).
- 3Prepare pasta according to basic pasta recipe, but roll to a thickness of 3mm. Cut 5cm squares from pasta sheets (see note) and pinch 2 sides of each square inwards to form a bow, squeezing gently to secure. Set aside on a lightly floured tray and repeat with remaining dough. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
- 4Heat half the butter in a deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat and cook chestnut mushrooms until golden (3-4 minutes). Deglaze pan with reserved mushroom stock, add remaining butter and whisk to emulsify.
- 5Cook farfalle in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (2-4 minutes). Drain, then add to mushroom sauce with pecorino and extra-virgin olive oil, and toss until the cheese is melted and sauce is shiny. Season to taste and serve hot scattered with toasted almonds.
Note For fancy edges, use a crinkle pasta cutter; run it through a pasta sheet lengthways, then cut widthways with a knife for straight edges.
Drink Suggestion: A full-bodied white wine with fresh almond and candied lemon characters and a little sea-salt nuance. A 2010 Barraco Grillo, from the west coast of Sicily, would be lovely. Drink suggestion by Giorgio de Maria