- 5 eggs
- 300 gm light muscovado sugar
- 375 gm self-raising flour
- 410 gm carrot (about 3 large), grated
- 180 gm golden raisins
- 125 gm butter, melted
- 125 ml vegetable oil (½ cup)
- 60 gm currants
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 320 gm pure icing sugar (2 cups)
- 60 ml strained fresh orange juice (¼ cup)
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1Preheat oven to 175C. Whisk eggs and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Fold in flour, then remaining ingredients. Divide mixture among eight 125ml metal dariole moulds on an oven tray and bake until cakes are puffed, golden and spring back when lightly touched (30-40 minutes). Cool slightly in moulds (5 minutes), then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2Meanwhile, for orange icing, whisk ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle icing over cool cakes, then leave to set (1 hour). Cakes will keep stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry, dark place for 3-4 days.