Salmoriglio is the flavour of Italy's south, closely associated with Calabria and Sicily. It's often served with swordfish and other seafood, but it's equally good with grilled meats.
- 1 chicken (about 1.8kg), butterflied
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 bunches oregano
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1Place chicken in a plastic bag with oil, rosemary and garlic, season well, seal, then massage chicken through bag to coat well. Refrigerate to marinate (at least 2 hours or overnight). Bring to room temperature an hour before cooking.
- 2Heat a barbecue to medium-high heat and grill chicken, turning often, until golden and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer (20-25 minutes).
- 3For salmoriglio, pound garlic and a pinch of salt to a paste with a mortar and pestle. Add oregano, pound to a paste, then stir in olive oil and lemon juice and season to taste. Serve with chicken and lemon halves on the side.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp vermentino. Drink suggestion by Max Allen