- 190 gm plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50 gm hazelnut meal
- 80 gm butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for brushing
- 8 eggs, at room temperature
- 220 gm (1 cup) caster sugar
- 130 gm good-quality raspberry jam, melted with 40ml raspberry liqueur, cooled, for brushing
- 250 ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 150 gm dark chocolate (54% cocoa solids), melted
- 20 ml raspberry liqueur
- 70 gm raspberries, lightly crushed, plus extra whole raspberries, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Process flour and hazelnut meal in a food processor to combine, then triple-sift and set aside. Follow method for <b><a href="/recipes/recipe-search/masterclass/2009/8/basic-sponge-cake/">basic sponge cake</a></b>, bake until centre springs back when pressed with your fingertip (25-30 minutes), cool as in basic sponge cake recipe.
- 2Meanwhile, for chocolate-raspberry cream, whisk cream, chocolate and liqueur in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (3-4 minutes, don’t over-whisk or mixture will split). Fold in raspberries, refrigerate until starting to firm (10-15 minutes).
- 3Brush one cake half with jam mixture, spread with chocolate-raspberry cream, sandwich with remaining half, dust with cocoa and serve with extra raspberries.