- 8 eggs
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 250 gm plain flour
- 30 gm unsalted butter, melted
- 400 gm shredded coconut
- 600 gm dark chocolate (65% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Whisk eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water for 5-10 minutes or until warm (about 40C), pale and frothy. Transfer to an electric mixer and whisk on high speed for 10 minutes or until mixture has tripled in volume. Sift over plain flour in batches and, using a metal spoon, fold gently to combine between additions. Just before adding the last of the flour, fold through melted butter. Divide batter between 2 lightly greased and base-lined 20cm square cake pans. Bake in centre of oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer withdraws clean. Stand in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks and cool completely.
- 2For chocolate ganache coating, combine chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. When chocolate begins to melt, stir gently until combined and smooth and set aside in a warm place.
- 3Scatter shredded coconut over a tray. Cut each sponge into sixteen 5cm squares. Using 2 forks, dip each square into the chocolate and shake to remove excess. (If chocolate starts to thicken, place bowl over gently simmering water to thin.) Roll each square in coconut, shake off excess and place on a wire rack (sitting over a tray). Stand for at least 1 hour or until chocolate sets. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 days.
Where to try them
The Book Kitchen A one-bite miniature served alongside coconut sorbet, strawberry and rhubarb jelly, and a hot cup of chocolate sauce. 255 Devonshire St, Surry Hills, NSW, (02) 9310 1003.
Beechworth Bakery Try the grand 'Dame Edna' – a pale pink raspberry-coated version - or just go for the classic slice, with or without cream. 27 Camp St, Beechworth, Vic, (03) 5728 1132, www.beechworthbakery.com.
Pearl The lamington fingers served with homemade strawberry jam at Pearl are chef Geoff Lindsay's mum's recipe. 631-633 Church St, Richmond, Vic, (03) 9421 4599.