Fried cheese sandwiches, or mozzarella in a carriage - simple and simply the best.
- 8 soft white bread slices, crusts removed
- 2 buffalo mozzarella balls (about 200gm each), drained and thickly sliced
- 125 ml milk (½ cup)
- 75 gm seasoned plain flour mixed with 1 tsp chopped thyme (½ cup)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Olive oil, for shallow-frying
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 1Place bread slices on a work surface and arrange mozzarella on half, leaving a small border.
Season to taste, sandwich with remaining bread, then press the edges to seal.
- 2Place milk, seasoned flour and beaten egg in separate bowls. Heat 1.5cm oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Dip bread in milk, dust in flour and dip in egg, shaking off excess each time, then fry until golden brown on both sides (4-5 minutes). Drain on paper towels, season and serve hot with lemon wedges.