- 160 ml dashi stock (see note) or water
- 100 gm plain flour (1/3 cup)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely grated
- ½ small carrot, coarsely grated
- 5 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 200 gm Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 thin rashers streaky bacon
- To serve: Japanese mayonnaise, okonomiyaki sauce, fried noodles and thinly sliced pickled ginger and nori (see note)
- 1Whisk dashi stock and flour together in a bowl until smooth. Add eggs, zucchini, carrot, spring onion and 150gm cabbage and mix to combine (do not overmix), then season to taste and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add batter, press with a spatula to make even and cook until golden and starting to set (3-4 minutes). Place bacon over okonomiyaki, carefully flip over and cook until bacon is golden and crisp (3-4 minutes). Turn over again and cook until golden and cooked through (2-3 minutes).
- 3Drizzle okonomiyaki with mayonnaise and okonomiyaki sauce, scatter with fried noodles, remaining cabbage and extra spring onions and serve with pickled ginger and nori.
Note Dashi powder is a great option when you need to make dashi stock in a hurry: make it according to packet instructions. Dashi powder, Japanese mayonnaise, okonomiyaki sauce and nori are available from Japanese grocers.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesLamb rack with piquillo peppers, rocket and burghulYesterday 5:00am