- 2 litres (8 cups) chicken stock
- 2 tsp saffron threads, toasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.4 kg corn-fed chicken or farmed white rabbit, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 chorizo, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 400 gm Calasparra rice (see note) (2 cups)
- 2 tsp Spanish smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves, coarsely chopped
- 300 gm podded green peas
- 300 gm baby green beans, trimmed
- 1Combine chicken stock and saffron in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until saffron has infused and coloured the stock.
- 2Heat olive oil in a 38cm caldero (paella pan) or frying pan, add chicken and chorizo and cook, turning occasionally, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until golden, then remove from pan.
- 3Add onion, garlic and capsicum and cook, stirring continuously, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden. Add tomato, cook for 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates, return chicken and chorizo to pan and pour over stock. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through.
- 4Add rice, paprika and rosemary, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, for 5 minutes, then scatter with peas and beans and cook for another 15 minutes or until rice is tender and stock is absorbed. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
WHERE TO BUY PAELLA PANSCasa Iberica
Stop here for all your Calasparra rice, jamón and chorizo needs. 25 Johnston St, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Vic, (03) 9419 4420.
Torres Cellars and Delicatessen Stocked to the rafters with Iberian meats, cheeses, wines and perfume. 75 Liverpool St, Sydney, NSW, (02) 9264 6862, www.torresdeli.com.au.
Pennisi Distributors Pick up paella pans and burners so you can cook it outdoors the traditional way. Also stocks Manchego, chorizo, Spanish drygoods and sweets such as turrón. 17 Balaclava St, Woolloongabba, Qld, (07) 3891 7643. Calasparra rice is a short-grain Spanish rice available from Simon Johnson and Spanish delicatessens.