- For brushing: melted butter
- For dusting: plain flour
- 3 mangoes (about 300 gm each), flesh coarsely chopped
- 2 Panama passionfruit, pulp only
- 4 eggwhites, at room temperature (see note)
- 240 gm caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped seeds only
- 400 ml sour cream
- 1 lime, finely grated rind only
- 2 tbsp pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1Preheat oven to 100C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper, brush with butter and dust with flour.
- 2For meringue, whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor running, add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking until sugar dissolves (5-10 minutes). Fold in cornflour, vinegar and vanilla seeds, then pile mixture into a 20cm-diameter circle on oven tray, gently smoothing top and making a slight indentation. Bake in centre of oven until crisp but not coloured (1-1¼ hours). Turn off oven and leave to cool completely with door ajar. Meringue will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- 3For lime cream, whisk sour cream, lime rind and icing sugar in a bowl until thick. Spoon over meringue, top with mango and passionfruit and serve immediately.
Note It's best to use older eggwhites when making pavlova or other meringues. You can even use eggwhites which have been frozen, so if you're making ice-cream, custard or curds, reserve the eggwhites and freeze them for later use. Just make sure they're completely defrosted and brought to room temperature before using.