We love poached eggs, but they can be high maintenance if you're feeding more than a couple of people. This is where soft-boiled eggs come into the picture - cooking a dozen or more is a no-fuss proposition, and if you can't be bothered peeling them en masse, just break them in half and scoop them from their shells with a spoon instead.
- 500 gm frozen peas
- 1 zucchini, coarsely grated, plus 1 extra, thinly sliced crossways on a mandolin
- 15 eggs, at room temperature
- 175 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 100 gm finely grated Greek feta
- ½ cup coarsely chopped mint, plus ½ cup extra leaves, to serve
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 120 gm self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, plus extra wedges, to serve
- Olive oil, for shallow-frying
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup (loosely packed) pea tendrils
- 6 zucchini flowers, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 200 gm Greek feta, coarsely crumbled
- 80 ml milk (1/3 cup)
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/2 cup)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1For feta sauce, process ingredients in a small food processor until smooth. Season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- 2Blanch peas in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender and bright green (2-3 minutes; see cook’s notes p184). Drain, reserve 100gm peas to serve, pulse remainder in a food processor to a rough purée (leave some whole for extra texture). Transfer to a bowl and stir in grated zucchini, 3 of the eggs, yoghurt, milk, feta, mint
and spring onion. Stir in flour and baking powder, add half the lemon juice and season to taste.
- 3Preheat oven to 120C. Heat about 1cm olive oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ½-cupfuls of batter and shallow-fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown (2-3 minutes). Drain on paper towels and place in a single layer on a baking tray in oven to keep warm.
- 4Meanwhile, cook remaining 12 eggs in a large saucepan of boiling water until cooked to your liking (7 minutes for soft yolks). Drain, then, when cool enough to handle, peel.
- 5Combine extra-virgin olive oil, pea tendrils, extra mint, sliced zucchini, zucchini flowers, reserved peas and remaining lemon juice in a
bowl. Season to taste and toss to combine. Serve pea, zucchini and mint fritters with eggs and feta sauce, and scatter with pea tendril salad.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp, green apple-like sparkling chenin blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen