This pear crumble in slice form is inspired by GT contributing food editor Brigitte Hafner's cherry streusel. It can be served warm or at room temperature, or can even be made a day ahead and gently reheated in the pan in the oven.
- 4 William pears, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 30 gm caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tsp lemon juice
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- Pure icing sugar for dusting and double cream (optional), to serve
- 250 gm (1 1/3 cups) plain flour
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150 gm chilled butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 100 gm (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 120 gm chilled butter, coarsely chopped
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 40 gm rolled oats, plus extra for scattering
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 170C and line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper. Stir pear, butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat until pear starts to break down (3-5 minutes), add cornflour mixture and rind, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid thickens (1-2 minute). Set aside to cool (15-20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for sweet pastry, process dry ingredients in a food processor to combine, add butter and process to fine crumbs, then add egg and pulse until dough just comes together. Press into prepared pan base and refrigerate until required.
- 3For crumble topping, process flour, butter, sugar and 1 tbsp chilled water in a food processor until a crumbly dough just comes together. Add oats and rind and pulse to combine.
- 4Spread pear filling over pastry base, top evenly with crumble and bake until light golden and pastry is cooked (40-45 minutes). Cool briefly, then dust with icing sugar and serve warm or at room temperature with cream. Slice will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am