- 2 small unsliced loaves wholemeal bread (about 300gm each), crusts removed
- 40 gm softened butter
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 200 ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 55 gm (¼ cup) raw caster sugar
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 4 sugar cubes, coarsely crushed
- 450 gm rhubarb, cut into 2cm pieces
- 180 gm raw caster sugar
- Juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1For rhubarb jam, rinse rhubarb in a colander, shake off excess water and transfer to a saucepan. Add sugar and juices, stir occasionally over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then stir occasionally until thick and jammy (4-5 minutes). Transfer to a container and refrigerate until chilled. Jam will keep refrigerated for 2 weeks.
- 2Preheat oven to 160C. Divide 2 tbsp rhubarb jam among five buttered 250ml ovenproof teacups or shallow bowls and set aside.
- 3Slice each loaf of bread lengthways into four 1cm-thick slices, butter one side of each slice and spread with a little rhubarb jam (you may have some jam left over). Roll each slice into a short cylinder, then cut each roll in half widthways. Place three rolls, cut-side up, in each teacup.
- 4Whisk cream, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla seeds in a bowl to combine, divide among teacups and stand for 10 minutes. Scatter with crushed sugar cubes, place on a tray and bake until golden and set (10-12 minutes). Stand for 10 minutes and serve warm.
This recipe is from the June 2012 issue of .