This slice is all about tang and texture. The rhubarb-lime jam is refreshingly tart and cuts through the sweetness of the meringue, which means you can go back for seconds or even thirds. This recipe makes about 20 pieces.
- 2 eggwhites
- 120 gm raw caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 120 gm moist coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- 450 gm rhubarb (about 2 bunches), cut into rough 3cm pieces
- 200 gm raw caster sugar
- 100 gm frozen raspberries
Shortbread pastry base
- 180 gm softened butter
- 100 gm raw caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 225 gm plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1For rhubarb-lime jam, stir ingredients except raspberries in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and jammy (10-15 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in raspberries. Transfer to a container and refrigerate to chill (1-2 hours). Jam can be made 2-3 days ahead.
- 2For shortbread pastry base, preheat oven to 180C. Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper, allowing sides of paper to overhang. Beat butter, sugar and rind in an electric mixer until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes), scrape down sides of bowl, then beat in yolks to combine. Stir in flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt to form a soft dough, then press evenly into base of prepared tin. Dock with a fork and bake until golden and crisp (10-15 minutes).
- 3Whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and whisk to soft peaks (2-3 minutes). Whisk in vanilla, then fold in coconut.
- 4Spread rhubarb-lime jam evenly over pastry base, then spread coconut meringue mixture over and bake until golden brown (10-15 minutes). Cool completely in tray, dust with icing sugar, then cut into bars and store in an airtight container until required. Slice will keep for 1-2 days.