- 4 heads of young garlic (see note), coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 250 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling (1 cup)
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary, plus flowers to serve (optional)
- 2 corn-fed chickens (1.8kg each)
- 8 banana chillies, quartered, trimmed, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp cabernet sauvignon vinegar
- 1 kg new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 kg asparagus (about 4 bunches)
Rocket, radicchio and daikon salad
- 100 gm rocket
- 1 Treviso radicchio, leaves separated
- ¼ daikon, cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 150 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1Process garlic, lemon juice and mustard in a food processor, then season to taste. With motor running, add oil in a thin steady stream until incorporated. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in rosemary. Set aside.
- 2Halve chickens, removing backbone and thigh bone. Rub generously with garlic marinade and refrigerate until required.
- 3Preheat oven to 200C. Arrange chillies skin-side up in a baking tray. Dress with olive oil, season to taste and drizzle vinegar over, then roast until tender and slightly charred (25-30 minutes). Keep warm. (You can also roast chillies in advance and reheat to serve.)
- 4Increase oven to 210C. Place chicken in a roasting pan and roast until skin is crisp and golden and juices run clear when leg is pierced with a skewer (40 minutes).
- 5Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender (15-20 minutes), then drain. Blanch asparagus until just tender (1-3 minutes). Transfer potatoes and asparagus to pan with roasted chillies, season to taste, toss with extra olive oil, then arrange on a platter.
- 6For rocket, radicchio and daikon salad, combine rocket, radicchio and daikon in a bowl. Whisk oil, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl to combine, season to taste, pour over salad and toss to combine.
- 7Halve chicken pieces, place on top of vegetables, sprinkle with rosemary flowers, then pour pan juices over. Serve hot with rocket, radicchio and daikon salad.
Note Young garlic is available from select greengrocers. If it's unavailable, substitute a head of mature garlic.