This salad is also great with thinly sliced cucumber and iceberg lettuce.
- 16 uncooked prawns, cleaned
- 80 ml lime juice (about 4 limes), plus lime wedges to serve (1/3 cup)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 small red Thai chillies
- 15 gm light palm sugar, crushed
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 2 tbsp each coarsely chopped coriander and mint, plus extra sprigs to serve
- To serve: very finely shredded cabbage
- 1Butterfly prawns and arrange in a single layer on a plate, pour half the lime juice over them and refrigerate until opaque (1-2 hours).
- 2Pound garlic clove in a mortar and pestle until smooth, add chillies and a pinch of salt and pound to a paste. Add palm sugar and remaining lime juice and stir to dissolve sugar, then stir in fish sauce. Drain juice from prawns, pour fresh dressing over, scatter with coarsely chopped herbs and serve with cabbage, lime wedges and extra mint.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp young vermentino.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm