Sprouting is easy, but make sure you rinse the buckwheat two or three times a day to prevent mould appearing, and inspect the grains carefully before using. You'll need untoasted buckwheat for this recipe and begin two days ahead to sprout the buckwheat.
- 145 gm (¾ cup) untoasted buckwheat
- 80 gm baby or curly kale, trimmed
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- ½ cup each coarsely torn parsley and dill
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.2 litres olive oil
- Thinly peeled rind of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 4 ocean trout fillets (200gm each), skin on, and pin-boned
Roast lemon sauce
- 2 lemons, halved, plus 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey, or to taste
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1Place buckwheat in a sieve and rinse well under cold running water. Place in a bowl, cover generously with water and soak covered for 20 minutes. Rinse again under cold running water, then transfer to a sprouter or a large fine sieve placed over a glass bowl and spread out buckwheat evenly all over sieve. Cover with a tea towel, and rinse and drain buckwheat 2-3 times a day until sprout tails appear (1-2 days). Refrigerate once sprouted.
- 2For roast lemon sauce, preheat oven to 200C. Place lemons on a baking tray lined with baking paper and roast until golden and tender (20-30 minutes). Set aside to cool. Squeeze pulp and juice into a small bowl (discard seeds and skin) and whisk in mustard and honey. Add oil in a thin steady stream, whisking continuously until incorporated. Stir in the 1 tsp of lemon juice, and thin with a little warm water to drizzling consistency if too thick. Season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- 3For confit trout, heat oil, rind, garlic and coriander seeds in a large saucepan over medium heat to 60C on a thermometer. Add trout and cook until just cooked through (8-10 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Carefully remove the skin and break into large chunks.
- 4Combine kale, fennel, fronds, herbs and sprouted buckwheat, drizzle with lemon juice and extra-virgin oil, season to taste, toss to combine and serve topped with confit trout, with roast lemon sauce alongside.
Drink Suggestion: Bottle-aged Hunter sémillon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am