A salty-sweet ripple of caramel through these marshmallows adds a sophisticated edge - try them dunked into the warm vanilla milk.
- 1.2 litres milk
- 100 gm malted milk powder
- 100 gm raw caster sugar, or to taste
- 2 vanilla beans, split, seeds scraped
- 2 cinnamon quills
Salted caramel marshmallows
- 225 gm caster sugar
- 2 tsp liquid glucose
- 30 ml pouring cream
- 10 gm butter, diced
- 1½ eggwhites
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp
Vanilla bean paste
- 4½ titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 100 gm pure icing sugar sieved with 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1For salted caramel marshmallows, stir 40gm sugar, 1 tsp glucose and 40ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook without stirring until dark caramel (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat, add cream, butter and ¼ tsp sea salt flakes, stir to combine and cool. Stir 125gm sugar, remaining glucose and 50ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook without stirring until mixture reaches 127C on a sugar thermometer (10-12 minutes). Meanwhile, when the syrup reaches 118C, start whisking eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then gradually add remaining sugar and vanilla, whisking until glossy. When the syrup reaches 127C, remove from heat, squeeze excess water from gelatine and stir into syrup to dissolve. Gradually add syrup to eggwhite, whisking continuously on low speed until incorporated, then increase speed to high and whisk until fluffy and cooled to room temperature. Fold in caramel mixture to form a ripple effect, then spoon into a piping bag (without a nozzle fitted). Pipe into lightly oiled mini-muffin tins, and allow to set (2-3 hours). Dust in icing sugar mixture and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- 2Stir milk, malted milk powder, raw caster sugar vanilla beans and seeds, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the simmer. Remove vanilla beans and cinnamon quills (reserve to serve if you like), froth the milk with a hand-held blender (optional) and serve warm with salted caramel marshmallows.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am