This recipe is based on a Rajasthani curry from Camellia Panjabi's 50 Great Curries of India.
- 1 tsp each ground turmeric, ground chilli and coriander seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 kg watermelon flesh, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
- 1Pound turmeric, chilli and coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle until coarsely ground. Add garlic, pound to a coarse paste, then add 200gm watermelon and pound until pulpy. Set aside.
- 2Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add cumin seeds and stir until fragrant and starting to pop (2-3 minutes). Add curry leaves, stir until fragrant (1 minute), then add watermelon mixture and simmer until starting to thicken (4-5 minutes). Add remaining watermelon, stir to coat well in sauce and cook until just warmed through (2-3 minutes). Season to taste with white sugar, sea salt and freshly ground white pepper, and serve immediately with rice.