- 1 tbsp fat (see note)
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 400 gm canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large artichoke hearts (about 140gm each), cooked, thickly sliced (see note)
- 50 gm salami, thickly sliced
- 8 Kalamata olives, pitted
- ½ preserved lemon, rind only, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Heat a frying pan over low-medium heat, add fat and onion, and cook until soft (3-5 minutes). Add tomatoes and cook until mixture thickens (8-10 minutes). Season to taste then add artichoke, salami, olives and preserved rind, stir to combine then transfer to a warmed 1-litre shallow baking dish. Make four wells in the mixture and break an egg into each, then bake until whites are set but yolks are still soft (10-15 minutes). Scatter with mint and chilli flakes, and serve.
Note Duck fat, lard, tallow or coconut oil are all my preference. Buy prepared artichoke hearts from a delicatessen or, cook your own: peel and trim fresh globe artichokes, cook for 5 minutes in boiling water, then remove the chokes.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am