- 300 gm (2 cups) mixed macadamia nuts and Brazil nuts
- 40 gm (¼ cup) dried currants or dried cranberries
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 300 gm beetroot (2 large), coarsely grated, plus extra to serve
- 200 gm desiccated coconut, plus extra to serve
- 40 gm (1/3 cup) 100% raw cacao powder (see note)
- 45 gm (1/3 cup) carob powder (see note)
- 2 tbsp golden flaxseeds, coarsely crushed (see note)
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- To serve: shaved dark chocolate
- 2 avocados, coarsely chopped
- 170 gm unfiltered honey
- 60 gm (½ cup) 100% raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, softened
- Scraped seeds of ½ vanilla bean
- 1For mud cakes, line an oven tray with baking paper, top with eight 5cm-diameter cake rings and set aside. Process nuts in a food processor to fine crumbs. Add dried fruit and maple syrup and process until smooth. Add beetroot, coconut, cacao and carob powder, flaxseeds and vanilla seeds and blend until even in texture (add about 2 tbsp water if mixture is too dry). Press mixture into rings and place in the freezer until firm (40-50 minutes).
- 2For chocolate icing, pulse ingredients and ½ tsp sea salt in a food processor until smooth.
- 3Unmould cakes by sliding a knife around the inside. Spread icing over cakes with a small spatula and refrigerate until set (30-40 minutes).
- 4To serve, garnish mud cakes with grated beetroot, a sprinkling of coconut and chocolate shavings.