"This dish is very much all about the season: it's light, crisp and summery. Use a basket ricotta from any good deli. You could substitute buffalo mozzarella or burrata." You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 8 zucchini flowers, stamens removed, leaves separated, zucchini sliced diagonally and reserved, plus extra zucchini flowers (optional), to serve
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 100 gm (½ cup) small dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight, drained
- 150 gm (1 cup) podded peas (400gm unpodded)
- 150 gm (1 cup) podded broad beans (320gm unpodded)
- 1½ cups (loosely packed) mint
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
- 2 tsp finely chopped preserved lemon rind
- 400 gm firm ricotta
- 1Preheat oven to 90C (or lowest temperature setting). Lay zucchini flowers flat on an oven tray lined with baking paper, brush with a little oil and bake until crisp (2 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, cook chickpeas in a saucepan of simmering water over medium heat until tender (25-30 minutes). Drain, then transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- 3Blanch peas, broad beans and zucchini until tender (2-3 minutes). Drain, then add to chickpeas with mint, oil, vinegar and preserved lemon rind, toss to combine and season to taste.
- 4To serve, transfer chickpea salad to a platter, add crisp zucchini flowers and extra zucchini flowers, and crumble ricotta over.
Drink Suggestion: 2010 Meerea Park “Hell Hole” Semillon. Drink suggestion by Ben McNair