This cocktail really represents the Northern Rivers," says chef Jason Saxby. "Brookie's is a local favourite – we've used this gin, as the sweetness helps balance out the tartness of the Davidson's plum."
- 45 ml Brookie's Byron Slow Gin (see note)
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 1 eggwhite
- Freeze-dried Davidson's plum powder (see note), to serve
Davidson's plum syrup
- 75 gm caster sugar
- 100 gm fresh or frozen Davidson's plums (see note), coarsely chopped
- 1For plum syrup, combine sugar and 175ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until dissolved. Add plums and stir occasionally until pan comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse (1½-2 hours). Strain and refrigerate until required. Plum syrup makes more than you need but will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- 2Place gin, lemon juice, eggwhite and 15ml plum syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake hard until chilled and eggwhite has frothed up. Strain into a chilled glass and dust with plum powder.
Brookie's Byron Slow Gin is available from select bottle shops. Freeze-dried Davidson's plum powder is available from select health food stores. Davidson's plums are available from outbackchef.com.au.