"I've always loved radicchio," says Rory Cowcher. "I was given an Italian cookbook when I was young and hadn't seen grilled radicchio before. I tried it and found that with salt, olive oil and lemon juice, it's outrageously delicious. We ran it through the wood-fired oven – Josh was pleased and I was relieved."
- 20 ml Grand Marnier
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ small garlic clove, crushed
- 125 ml blended vegetable oil
- 1 head of radicchio, quartered through the stalk to hold it
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 orange, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced and blanched and refreshed
- 1Blend Grand Marnier, sherry vinegar, mustard, sugar and garlic with a hand-held blender on high speed to combine, then, while blending, gradually add oil until thick and emulsified.
- 2Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat. Blanch radicchio in salted boiling water (1 minute). Drain on paper towels, toss in a bowl with oil and salt to taste and grill until charred (4 minutes per cut side). Return to bowl with orange and shallots, season with ground black pepper to taste, toss to combine and serve drizzled with dressing.
Drink suggestion: An aromatic pinot from the Yarra Valley, such as Payten & Jones 2016 "VV" Pinot Noir. Drink suggestion by Mark Williamson.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm