- 700 gm piece of hanger steak, trimmed
- 120 ml olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 450 gm piquillo peppers, drained (see note)
- 150 ml Sherry vinegar
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 40 gm harissa
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1Preheat oven to 120C. Place steak on an oven tray lined with baking paper, season to taste and roast until cooked to your liking (20-25 minutes for medium-rare).
- 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan, add onion and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes). Add piquillo peppers and vinegar and cook, stirring occasionally, until vinegar is reduced
by two-thirds (4-5 minutes). Season to taste and set aside.
- 3Heat chickpeas and remaining olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat (4-5 minutes), add harissa and crush with a fork or potato masher, then season to taste.
- 4Heat grapeseed oil in a frying pan over high heat, add steak and cook, turning occasionally until well-browned all over (1-2 minutes). Carve and serve with crushed chickpeas and peppers.