"I always season fish and meat the day before cooking them – a bit like brining," says Hugh Wennerbom. "With this trout I salt the cut side with around one per cent of its weight."
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 king trout fillets (180gm each), skin on
- 6 Lebanese zucchini or other small zucchini, trimmed and quartered lengthways
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 dill sprigs, coarsely chopped
- 1Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat, pat trout dry with paper towels and lightly season the skin with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add trout to pan skin-side down, reduce heat to medium and fry until skin is crisp (4-5 minutes). Flip trout and fry until medium-rare (2-3 minutes). Rest for 5 minutes in a warm place (internal temperature should be 50°C).
- 2Meanwhile, cook zucchini in boiling salted water for 1½ minutes. Drain well. Combine butter, lemon juice and dill in a bowl, and season. Add hot zucchini, toss to coat and serve with trout.
Drink Suggestion: A pinot noir such as 2015 Denton. Drink suggestion by Hugh Wennerbom