"My mum, Farida Ayubi, used to prepare this dish for feasts, celebrations or large family gatherings," says Durkhanai Ayubi. "Cooking the chicken in the yoghurt is what makes it extra special - the flavours are quite deep yet still refreshing."
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 1.8 kg chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 130 gm (½ cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 long red or green chillies, coarsely chopped
- To serve: thinly sliced Spanish onion, coriander and lime cheeks
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add chicken pieces and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over (4-5 minutes). Remove from pan. Add onion and garlic to pan and fry, stirring occasionally, until very tender (6-8 minutes). Add yoghurt, turmeric, 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper and 2 tsp sea salt. Return chicken to pan, bring to the simmer and cook, adding the chilli after about 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (8-10 minutes). Season to taste and serve hot with sliced Spanish onion, coriander and cheeks of lime.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am