"This Christmas Day staple is my mother's recipe." - Kylie Kwong
- 4 eggwhites
- 330 gm caster sugar (1½ cup)
- 1½ tsp white vinegar
- 1½ tsp vanilla essence
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 500 gm strawberries, hulled and sliced
- icing sugar, To Serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites and a pinch of sea salt until soft peaks form, then, with the motor running, gradually add caster sugar and beat until sugar is incorporated, then add vinegar and vanilla and beat until combined.
- 2Spoon onto a baking paper-lined oven tray and form into a 22cm round. Reduce oven to 150C and bake for 1½ hours. Turn off oven and, leaving door ajar, stand pavlova in oven for at least 2 hours (but preferably overnight) to cool.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk cream until soft peaks form, spread over pavlova and scatter with strawberries. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.