- 1 small Kent or medium potimarron pumpkin (1.5kg-2.25kg; see note)
- Rock salt, for baking
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 50 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 30 gm puffed quinoa (see note) (1¼ cups)
- 30 gm puffed barley (see note) (½ cup)
- 30 gm puffed wild rice (see note) (½ cup)
- 600 gm plain flour (4 cups)
- 300 gm sea salt
- 120 gm eggwhite (about 4)
- 20 gm finely chopped golden shallots (1-2 shallots)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 20 gm unsalted butter
- 400 ml pouring cream
- 150 gm finely grated Pyengana cheddar, or another hard cheese
- 1For salt-crust dough, mix flour, salt, eggwhite
and 250ml cold water in an electric mixer fitted
with a dough hook until the mixture comes
together, then transfer to a floured surface and
knead until smooth (2-3 minutes). Wrap in plastic
wrap and rest for 1 hour.
- 2If you’re using the oven, preheat oven to 190C.
Roll out salt-crust dough to 5mm thick, place
pumpkin in the centre and wrap in dough to
cover it fully, pinching dough to seal. Pierce two
small holes in the top of the pumpkin with a
skewer, through pastry and into flesh, to allow
steam to escape. Place pumpkin on a bed of rock
salt in a baking dish and bake (or bury in the hot
coals of the fire pit) until pumpkin is cooked and
internal temperature on an inserted probe
thermometer reaches 85C (1¼ hours for a 1.5kg
pumpkin and up to 1¾ hours for 2.25kg pumpkin).
Set aside to rest for 20 minutes, then place on a
tray or plate and crack open the pastry.
- 3Meanwhile, for Pyengana cream, sauté shallots
and garlic in butter in a saucepan over low heat
until soft and translucent (8-10 minutes). Add
cream, increase heat, bring to the boil and cook
until reduced by a third (3-4 minutes). Reduce
heat to very low, scatter in cheddar and whisk
until melted. Keep warm, or reheat gently to serve.
- 4Reduce oven to 180C. Roast pepitas and
sunflower seeds on an oven tray lined with baking
paper or on a silicone oven tray until lightly
golden (6-8 minutes). Leave to cool. Melt butter
in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add puffed quinoa, barley and wild
rice, toss to coat, then add roasted pepitas and
sunflower seeds, and toss to combine and warm
through (30-40 seconds). Season to taste and
mix for a minute off the heat. Keep warm or
gently reheat to serve.
- 5Slice pumpkin into wedges, remove seeds and
fibrous centre and peel the skin away with a knife.
The pumpkin should be meltingly soft and tender.
Place a wedge on each serving plate, spoon
cheese sauce on top, sprinkle generously with
grains and seeds and serve.
Potimarron, a French heirloom pumpkin, is available from Johnstone’s Kitchen Gardens (johnstonefarmer.com) and farmers’ markets. Puffed quinoa and barley are available from health-food shops or royalnutcompany.com.au. For puffed wild rice, deep-fry 25gm uncooked wild rice for 10-20 seconds at 190C, then remove with a fine skimmer or drain in a sieve and cool on paper towels; otherwise use regular puffed rice.
Drink Suggestion: 2008 Canobolas-Smith “Shine” Chardonnay, Orange, NSW, or 2015 KT Rosé, Clare Valley, SA. Drink suggestion by Russ Mills & Amanda Yallop