"This is super-simple but incredibly tasty," says Lindsay. "I could eat the black sesame mixture by the handful." Start this recipe a day ahead to give the semifreddo time to freeze.
- 300 gm caster sugar
- 100 gm butter, diced
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 12 egg yolks
- 700 ml thickened cream, whisked to soft peaks
Black sesame sugar
- 50 gm (2 tbsp) roasted black sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1Stir 200gm sugar and 100ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil and cook until dark caramel (5-6 minutes). Add butter (be careful, hot caramel will spit) and swirl to combine. Add pouring cream, stir, then sea salt to taste (you’ll need more than you think), and refrigerate to cool completely.
- 2Whisk yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until thick and pale (6-7 minutes). Transfer to an electric mixer and whisk until cooled to room temperature. Fold in salted caramel, then thickened cream, transfer to a container and freeze overnight.
- 3For black sesame sugar, process ingredients and 1 tbsp sea salt in a food processor to a sand-like texture. Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 2 weeks.
- 4Serve scoops of semifreddo in chilled bowls, scattered with black sesame sugar.
Drink Suggestion: 2010 Kameman Shuzo “Genmaishu”, Kumamoto, Japan. Drink suggestion by Mat Lindsay
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am