- 1 baby fennel bulb
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 250 gm smoked trout or salmon
Savoury shortcrust pastry
- 250 gm plain flour
- 125 gm cold unsalted butter, diced
- 90 ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 500 ml cream
- 200 ml milk
- 8 eggs
- 1For savoury shortcrust pastry, combine flour, butter and ¾ tsp fine sea salt in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then add milk and gently mix to form a dough. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- 2On a clean, lightly floured workbench, roll out pastry to 5mm thick and line a 22cm round flan tin, gently easing pastry into base and edges. Using a sharp knife, trim excess pastry, then refrigerate pastry shell for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 180C. Line pastry shell with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or dried beans, then blind-bake for 15 minutes. Remove baking paper and pastry weights, then return pastry shell to oven and cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until golden. Brush inside of pastry shell with beaten egg and return to oven for 5 minutes. Remove and reduce oven to 150C.
- 4For filling, whisk together cream, milk, eggs and 1 tsp fine sea salt in a bowl. Pour into pastry shell and bake for 35-40 minutes or until just set.
- 5Using a mandolin, thinly slice fennel and place in a bowl, then toss with lemon juice. Arrange smoked trout or salmon over tart, scatter fennel over and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Grassy Spanish verdejo. Drink suggestion by Max Allen