- 2 tbsp duck fat, ghee or coconut oil
- 6 rindless bacon rashers (about 350gm), diced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 600 gm zucchini (about 3), cut into julienne on a mandolin
- 4 egg yolks (optional)
- To serve: macadamia nuts, finely grated
- To serve: chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp arrowroot (see note)
- 185 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 125 ml (½ cup) coconut cream
- 1For egg sauce, whisk eggs and arrowroot in a bowl to combine. Bring stock and coconut cream to the boil in a saucepan. Add 60ml of the coconut and stock to egg mixture and whisk to combine, then whisk in the remaining hot liquid. Return mixture to pan and cook over low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until sauce thickens (5-7 minutes). Season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Heat fat in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and fry, stirring occasionally, until it just starts to colour (3-5 minutes). Reduce heat to medium, add onion and garlic and cook until translucent (8-10 minutes). Add parsley, then add zucchini and toss until just tender (2 minutes). Remove from heat, toss egg sauce with zucchini, season to taste and divide among bowls. Place an egg yolk on each portion, if using, and serve, scattered with macadamia, black pepper or chilli flakes.
Note Arrowroot is available in the baking section of the supermarket.