- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 6 zucchini (Lebanese, green or black)
- 400 gm stracciatella (see note)
- Basil leaves and sumac, to serve
- 1Burn down coals on a charcoal barbecue in a pile until embers are ashed over and reduced to medium-high heat (20-30 minutes), then spread embers out in an even layer. Alternatively, preheat a barbecue to medium-high heat.
- 2Whisk oil and lemon juice in a bowl until emulsified and season to taste.
- 3Slice zucchini into 3mm ribbons with a mandolin. Season to taste and grill, turning, until just starting to soften (1-2 minutes each side). Toss in lemon dressing and arrange in a serving bowl.
- 4Spoon pieces of stracciatella over the zucchini, scatter with basil, drizzle with remaining lemon dressing and dust with a few pinches of sumac to serve.
Stracciatella is available from select cheese shops and Italian delicatessens. If it's unavailable, use torn burrata or mozzarella.
Drink suggestion: A light-bodied sauvignon blanc, such as the 2015 "Pouilly-Fumé" from Domaine de la Loge, grown on flinty soils in the Loire Valley, France. Drink suggestion by Adrian Filiuta.