- 1 tbsp lard or oil
- 4 thin slices smokehouse bacon, rind removed
- 4 thin slices spelt sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- 1 baby cos, leaves shredded
- 4 ripe tomatoes, sliced thickly lengthways
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced basil
- 1For roasted tomatoes, preheat oven to 200C. Place tomatoes on a baking tray lined with baking paper, sprinkle with thyme and season to taste. Roast until tender (20-25 minutes). Set aside and keep warm.
- 2Heat lard or oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and turn occasionally until golden and cooked to your liking (5 minutes for medium-crisp).
- 3For basil mayonnaise, mix ingredients in a bowl and season to taste. Spread on 2 slices of bread, then top with bacon, roasted tomato and lettuce. Drizzle with pan juices, sandwich with remaining bread and serve.