Brown the cauliflower thoroughly at the start here – it's a simple way to give this vegetarian curry some more character and greater depth of flavour. Then to add some more body, try replacing the water with coconut milk.
- 1 cauliflower (about 1.5kg), cut into 3cm florets
- 75 gm ghee, melted
- ½ cup (loosely packed) fresh curry leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 long green chillies, thinly sliced
- 30 gm ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- Steamed basmati rice and coarsely chopped red onion tossed in lime juice, to serve
- Lime wedges and Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- 1Preheat the oven grill to high. Toss cauliflower with half the ghee in a bowl, season to taste, spread out on a lightly greased oven tray and grill, turning occasionally, until golden and slightly charred (8-10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining ghee in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add curry leaves, onion, garlic, chilli and ginger, season to taste, and stir occasionally until softened and golden (5-7 minutes). Add spices, stir until fragrant (1 minute), then add tomatoes and 400ml water and simmer until slightly reduced and flavours develop (6-8 minutes). Add cauliflower and stir until heated through (1-2 minutes), season to taste and serve with rice, red onion, lime wedges and yoghurt.