- 300 gm dried macaroni
- 400 gm cauliflower (about 1/3 cauliflower), cut into small florets
- 250 ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 140 gm firm ricotta
- 100 gm coarsely grated cheddar, plus extra for scattering
- 100 gm finely grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp each coarsely chopped thyme and flat-leaf parsley
Crunchy rye crumbs
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 gm coarse fresh rye breadcrumbs
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp thyme
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, adding cauliflower in the last 3 minutes of cooking (6-8 minutes). Drain and return both to pan. Add cream, then cheeses and herbs, season generously to taste and mix well. Spread in a 3-litre baking dish, scatter with extra cheddar and bake until golden and bubbling (10-15 minutes).
- 2For crunchy rye crumbs, melt butter and oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming, add crumbs and stir occasionally until crisp and golden brown (4-5 minutes). Add garlic, thyme and lemon rind and stir until fragrant (1 minute). Remove from heat and season to taste. Scatter over hot macaroni and serve.