The classic risi e bisi is made with fresh peas, with the pods simmered to make a stock. This cheat's version uses frozen peas, but the ease of preparation more than makes up for the deviation.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40 gm butter, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100 gm mild flat pancetta, diced
- 220 gm carnaroli rice
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 litre (4 cups) hot chicken stock
- 200 gm frozen peas, defrosted
- 40 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1Heat oil and half the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and pancetta and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes). Stir in rice until coated and lightly toasted (1-2 minutes), then add wine and simmer until evaporated. Add hot stock, season to taste, bring to the boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is al dente (15-20 minutes). Stir in peas, parmesan and remaining butter in the last minute of cooking and serve hot scattered with parmesan and parsley.