A simple starter for Christmas or the days after. We've used smoked trout and thinly sliced cucumber, but if there's a side of gravlax and a jar of cucumber pickles in the fridge they'll also do nicely in this setup.
- 30 thin baguette slices from about ½ large white baguette
- 50 gm butter, melted
- 200 gm crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- Juice of ½ lemon (or to taste)
- ½ telegraph cucumber, thinly sliced
- 250 gm thinly sliced smoked ocean trout
- Watercress sprigs, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 175°C. Brush baguette with melted butter and bake, turning occasionally, until golden (8-9 minutes). Cool.
- 2Whisk crème fraîche with dill, lemon juice and a large pinch of salt until slightly thickened.
- 3Top crostini with slices of cucumber and a fold of smoked trout, spoon over crème fraîche mixture and top with a sprig of watercress to serve.