Eggs piperade is a classic French Basque dish and a highly versatile one at that - it's equally at home on the breakfast table as it is dinner or lunch.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- To serve: thyme sprigs and coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To serve: crusty baguette and butter
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, capsicum and garlic, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender (8-10 minutes). Add tomato, season to taste and simmer uncovered until beginning to break down (4-5 minutes). Gently stir in egg and cook, stirring occasionally, until scrambled (3-4 minutes). Scatter with thyme and parsley and serve hot with a crusty baguette and butter.