Green beans with almonds is a simple pairing, but paying attention to the details can make it memorable. Choose small, firm green beans – they're sweeter, with a more delicate flavour – and fry the almonds in butter for extra crunch and richness.
- 100 gm salted butter
- 100 gm flaked almonds
- 500 gm young green beans, trimmed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ preserved lemon rind, rinsed and chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped tarragon
- 1Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat, add almonds, and stir until golden (5-7 minutes). Strain through a sieve (discard butter) and drain on paper towels. Season to taste with salt.
- 2Meanwhile, blanch beans in a large saucepan of salted water until bright green (1-2 minutes). Refresh and drain well.
- 3Combine olive oil, vinegar, preserved lemon and lemon juice in a screw-top jar, seal, and shake well to combine.
- 4Toss beans with tarragon, almonds and dressing, season to taste, and serve.