- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp mixed dried herbs such as fennel, thyme, dill and crumbled dry bay leaf
- 4 120gm pieces of mahi mahi or other firm white-fleshed fish fillets
Baby vegetable escabeche
- 8 baby artichokes
- 2 lemons
- 8 baby golden beetroot or beetroot, trimmed
- 4 cloves of garlic, lightly bruised
- 1 fresh green jalapeño chilli, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of dried oregano
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds
- 8 bulbs of baby fennel, trimmed
- 180 gm pearl onions
- 12 baby carrots (about 1 bunch), trimmed and peeled
- ½ cup red or white wine vinegar
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 1Combine ¼ cup olive oil and dried herbs in a flat glass or ceramic dish, add mahi mahi and turn to coat, then cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 2For baby vegetable escabeche, snap off tough outer leaves from artichokes and trim one-third from tops. Peel and trim stems, then place in a bowl of water with juice of 1 lemon.
- 3Cook beetroot in a saucepan of simmering water for 10 minutes or until tender, drain, cool slightly, then peel.
- 4Place artichokes in a saucepan with enough water to cover, then bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- 5Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a frying pan, add garlic and cook over medium heat until fragrant. Add chilli, herbs, spices and 2 tsp salt, or to taste and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add fennel, onions and carrots and cook for 3 minutes, then add cooked artichokes and beetroot, remaining olive oil, vinegar and wine and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 6Season fish to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then char-grill or barbecue for 4-5 minutes on each side or until just tender. Serve fish immediately with escabeche vegetables and broth.
Drink Suggestion: The explosion of slightly sour tastes in this dish call for an equally explosive young wine such as a Marlborough sauvignon blanc.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm