We've cooked this chicken in the oven, but you could also cook it on a barbecue covered with a lid.
- 1 chicken, spatchcocked (1.6kg)
- 6 cm piece of turmeric, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk (white part only), finely chopped
- ½ pineapple, cut into wedges
- To serve: lime wedges
- 4 small green chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp crushed light palm sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) each lime juice and fish sauce, plus extra to taste
- 1 large kohlrabi (500gm), sliced into julienne
- 3 red shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup torn mint
- 1Preheat oven to 230C and place a char-grill pan over high heat. Score chicken deeply all over and place skin-side up on char-grill pan. Pound turmeric, garlic and lemongrass to a coarse paste with a mortar and pestle, season to taste and spread over chicken skin, then turn and grill until golden and charred. Transfer to an oven tray skin-side up and roast in oven until cooked through (16-20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, clean char-grill pan and grill pineapple, turning once, until golden (3-5 minutes).
- 3For kohlrabi salad, pound chillies and garlic with a mortar and pestle until finely crushed, add palm sugar, pound to combine, then stir in lime juice and fish sauce. Season to taste with extra fish sauce and lime juice. Transfer to a bowl with kohlrabi, shallots and mint, toss to combine and serve with chicken, grilled pineapple and lime wedges.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm