- 100 gm (½ cup) brown rice
- 60 gm small green lentils
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
- 1 onion, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500 gm thick natural yoghurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ tbsp plain flour mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
- 80 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- To serve: coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, mint and spring onions
- 1Cook rice in a saucepan of simmering water for 5 minutes, add lentils and cook until both rice and lentils are tender (10-12 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- 2Place stock, onion and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Whisk yoghurt and egg in a bowl until smooth, add flour mixture and a little hot stock and whisk to combine. Pour yoghurt mixture into pan, reduce heat to low and whisk until hot but not boiling (1-2 minutes). Season to taste.
- 3Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add mint and chilli flakes, and cook until golden (2-3 minutes). Add rind and juice. Season to taste.
- 4To serve, divide lentils and rice among bowls, top with yoghurt soup, spoon butter mixture over and serve scattered with herbs and spring onions.