The purée here is made with boiled eggplant, so it's super-quick to make and has a lovely creamy texture. The addition of miso gives it a lovely deep flavour, which works well with the barramundi.
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 4 barramundi fillets (about 200gm each)
- 40 gm butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- To serve: steamed vegetables, such as sugar snaps and asparagus
Eggplant and miso purée
- 2 large eggplant (350gm each), peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus extra to season
- 1½ tbsp white miso (shiro miso)
- 50 gm butter
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce, or to taste
- 1For purée, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add eggplant and lemon juice, and boil until tender (5 minutes). Drain well in a colander (5 minutes), then transfer to a blender with remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Season to taste with soy sauce and lemon juice, stir well and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, season barramundi and fry skin-side down until golden (3-4 minutes). Add butter and lemon to pan, turn barramundi and
fry, basting occasionally, until golden-brown and just cooked through (3-4 minutes). Serve with eggplant and miso purée, top with steamed vegetables and pour pan juices over.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am