- 4 duck breasts (about 200gm each), fat scored
- 8 baby leeks, trimmed, soaked in cold water
- 2 small pink lady apples, thinly sliced, tossed in lemon juice
- 2 witlof, leaves separated
- 1 cup (loosely packed) watercress
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp (loosely packed) chervil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 120 gm rindless bacon, sliced into 2cm pieces
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Season duck to taste, place in a cold frying pan skin-side down and place over medium-high heat. Cook until skin is golden and fat is rendered (10-12 minutes). Turn then place in oven and roast until golden and cooked through (8-10 minutes). Cover with foil and set aside to rest (5 minutes).
- 2Blanch leeks until tender (2-3 minutes), refresh and drain. Cut into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and set aside.
- 3For bacon vinaigrette, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add bacon and cook until golden and crisp (2-3 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper. Add extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar and mustard to pan, whisk to combine, season to taste, add bacon and keep warm.
- 4Thinly slice duck, add to salad, pour in vinaigrette, toss to combine and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm