- 1 baby fennel, stalks and bulb separated
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 250 ml dry white wine (1 cup)
- 2 rainbow trout (about 750gm each)
- 50 gm butter
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 400 gm kipfler potatoes, scrubbed and thickly sliced lengthways (about 6)
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 500 ml fish stock (2 cups)
- 100 gm sorrel leaves, thinly sliced (2 bunches)
Lemon butter sauce
- 125 ml white wine (½ cup)
- 1 piece lemon rind, removed with a lemon peeler
- 150 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Place fennel stalks in a fish kettle (or a large deep frying pan) with onion, bay leaves, wine and 2 litres of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add fish, cover, then remove from heat and stand for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- 2Thinly slice fennel bulb lengthways. Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat, add sliced fennel and shallot and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Add potato, lemon zest and stock. Season to taste and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 3Meanwhile, for lemon butter sauce, combine white wine and lemon rind in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add butter a little at a time, whisking each addition until combined before adding more. Add lemon juice, discard rind, and season to taste.
- 4Remove fish from kettle and drain. Serve sprinkled with sorrel, and with lemon butter sauce and potato salad passed separately.
Drink Suggestion: Stoneleigh Pinot Noir Rose. Drink suggestion by Andy Harris